Over-The-Rhine neighborhood guide
Filled to the brim with shops, restaurants, bars, and events and located just north of downtown Cincinnati, Over-the-Rhine (OTR) is a must-visit neighborhood in Cincinnati. Read on to discover our guide to Cincy’s OTR neighborhood, including things to do, restaurants, shopping, and more.
Over-the-Rhine’s roots date back to the nineteenth century when German immigrants came to the United States looking for opportunity. Seeing similarities between Cincinnati’s Miami and Erie Canal and crossing the Rhine River to work daily, the residents dubbed their new home Over-the-Rhine. Over-the-Rhine was a little slice of Germany as the residents brought their German food, German beer, traditions, language, style, and more. Today the neighborhood is a thriving cultural hub on the National Register of Historic Places, known for having the largest collection of well-preserved Italianate architecture in the country.
Getting around Over-the-Rhine
- On foot: OTR is a very compact and walkable neighborhood.
- By bike: Grab a bike from Red Bike the Cincy Region’s bike share program. Some Red Bikes come equipped with an electric battery, making it easier to traverse Cincinnati’s iconic hills.
- The Connector: Take a ride on the free downtown streetcar with 18 stops throughout the downtown core of Cincinnati
Eat and drink in Over-The-Rhine
From bakeries to breweries to fine dining to Belgian waffles, OTR is a foodie paradise. Here are some local favorite restaurants in Cincinnati’s Over-the-Rhine.
- Taste of Belgium: Belgian-inspired recipes with an American twist.
- Salazar Restaurant: Farm-inspired cuisine by James Beard Award nominee Jose Salazar (Brunch & Dinner)
- The Eagle: Beer and food hall specializing in fried chicken and craft beer
- Brown Bear Bakery: Artisanal pastries and coffee bar
- Rhinegeist: Big indoor brewery and taproom with a rooftop bar serving craft beer, ciders, teas, and more.
- Alcove by Madtree Brewing: Greenhouse meets restaurant serving craft beer, craft cocktails, and shareable bites
- Somerset OTR: Trendy craft cocktail bar, featuring infused spirits with a picturesque indoor/outdoor setting decked with curated decor from around the world
Shops in Over-the-Rhine
OTR is packed with unique boutiques and markets. Get ready to shop til you drop with these top picks for the best shopping in Over-the-Rhine!
- Findlay Market: Ohio’s oldest operating public market
- Cincy Shirts: From retro sports tees to cute Cincinnati Zoo merch featuring everyone's favorite hippo Fiona, find the perfect souvenir from your Cincy trip.
- Hutch Baby: The cutest kids clothing boutique
- Mica 12/v: Local art, handcrafted goods, and gifts
Parks, Playgrounds, and Pools in Over-the-Rhine
- Washington Park: Beautiful park in front of Music Hall with free events, playground, splash pad, and dog park
- Ziegler Pool: Cool off with a splash in Cincy’s affordable and accessible public pool
Performing arts in OTR
Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, Music Hall (photo: Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra)
- Cincinnati Music Hall: One of Cincy’s most iconic buildings, the Cincinnati Music Hall is also home to the Cincinnati Ballet, Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, Cincinnati Opera, May Festival Chorus, and the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra. Architecture tours are also available.
- Cincinnati Shakespeare Company: Ensemble theatre company that brings Shakespeare and other classics to the Cincinnati stage.
- Ensemble Theatre Cincinnati: Thought-provoking and exciting contemporary theater with over 200 performances a year.
- Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra: See world-class orchestral music at Cincinnati Music Hall.